Sunday, August 11, 2013

Personal Notes

Judy is a nurse, and there were clinics planned on this mission trip, that's why I suggested we go to Peru. I even entertained the thought that Judy might go without me since her role was so well defined, and mine seemed auxiliary. Even up to our departure it was hard for me to be too excited because I wasn't sure what I would be doing. I prepared shotgun style: evangicube, wordless frisbee and Ninja star, about one and one half sermons, and lots of prayer. I went to Peru trusting that God would use me, and He did, what a blessing.

Early in our discussions about whether we should go to Peru or not, I mentioned to Judy that the dates included our anniversary. That was not at all a glitch for us. Don't get me wrong, our anniversary has always been important to us, but all that matters is that we celebrate in some way together. Serving in Peru would be a memorable way to celebrate our 36th anniversary.

During team planning meetings our important date came up. I joked that I was looking for an exotic destination to celebrate.

In Pedregal at dinner on July 29th I heard some discussion between David and Pastor Pablo about special food for the next day.

When we got up on July 30th in the hostel in Pedregal, and wished each other 'Happy Anniversary.' I suggested to Judy that we wear matching tee shirts. She agreed and that was our little celebration. She gave me a card she had brought from home, I forgot to get her one. I thought the special food happened at lunch when Gilmer served each person half of an avocado with sort of relish made with beets-it was delicious. Lunch was too. On the way to dinner the bus made an unscheduled stop at a bakery. David and Pastor Pablo returned with a cake box. Written on the cake top was "Happy Anniversary, Kur and Judy."

Dinner was even more special that night, and then we gathered around the cake for Pastor Pablo to make a little speech and pray. Then I suggested he say, "and now you may kiss the bride." And I did. Judy didn't want to blow out the two candles on the cake because she was getting a cold. Spontaneously I picked out both candles, joined them into one flame and then blew them out symbolizing our lives together. The cake was caramel and delicious. What a blessed way to celebrate 36 years of God's blessings.

On Wednesday we visited the alcohol and drug rehabilitation center. To keep the grass trimmed they had two Alpacas, Maron (Brown in Spanish) and Natasha. After the program while waiting for lunch we were visiting with the residents. Outside one guy was feeding candy to the Alpacas. He would put a lemon candy between his lips and move close to Natasha. She would gently take it with her lips. Walker and I tried the trick, and pictures reveal Lindsey did too. There were llamas at the orphanage-no kissing, only spitting-Catherine L received that indignity.
Matching Shirts
Avocado appetitizer
Cake-yum yum!
Happy Anniversary
What happens in Peru, doesn't stay in Peru


No comments:

Post a Comment