Monday, August 5, 2013

More Evangelism

Songs and skits set the stage for presentations of the gospel. We also took and practiced the use of tools for evangelism. We also learned to make balloon animals, hats, and swords. Kids really enjoyed these, some adults too. I caught Jose and Gaby in a sword fight.

The Evangicube is actually eight cubes held together with images that depict the story of salvation in a magical context. As you explain the gospel you can reveal pictures of Jesus on the cross and raising from the tomb, etc. by opening the cube. We practiced using the cube with each other. Some of our Peruvian team members were very proficient at using the Evangicube.

Some ladies at Hickory Grove make beautiful, soft dolls for evangelism. The dolls come in various racial looks and stands about 15 inches tall. Each is made with care and quality and has unique clothing. They have a sad face on one side, depicting the sorrow of being lost. They have a happy face on the other side, depicting the joy of knowing Jesus. We took three or four garbage bags full of these dolls stuffed into our suitcases. As Peruvian Christians explained the plan of salvation, little girls were very attentive. They couldn't wait to get their hands on the dolls. These were a great help in evangelism.

During one Peru mission team preparation meeting we discussed a concern that we had these really great dolls for the girls, but had nothing for the boys. Ginger mentioned seeing frisbees at the dollar store. While visiting Party City I saw 'Skimmer Rings' in a pack of 12 for $2.99. Using my computer I designed a pie chart with the colors of the wordless book, black, red, white, yellow and green on one side and appropriate scripture verses on the back. Gluing these into the rings actually made them fly better-must be spiritual aerodynamics. I had Staples print some for me, but that made them too expensive. I showed the English language prototype to David at deacons meeting, and told him about the cost. He showed it to Steve Adam, who immediately said, "we can print these at the church." David translated them into Spanish and Steve had 100 printed for us. The team cut them out during a fund raiser at Chick-fil-a. Dawn Morton had them laminated and cut out of the lamination (this makes them more waterproof). Finally, I glued them together-I had time, I'm a teacher on summer break. The boys loved these.

Still on the theme of wordless evangelism. I used construction paper in those colors to make a wordless Ninja star. The neat thing about this is people are curious about what you are making so you have time to explain the gospel in a more detailed way. I folded the parts to explain about our separation from God, what God wants for us, and how sin keeps us from those good things. Then as I assembled the star, I explained how Jesus blood cleanses from sin and makes holiness, spiritual growth and heaven a reality for us.
Photo
PhotoPhoto

No comments:

Post a Comment